Calizona was the first official ApHC Regional Club. The name was derived from the home of the original members who lived in Arizona and California. The spelling of the Club's name has always been Calizona, not Calzona as seen in the Appaloosa News (8/54) in an early letter from Mr. Rhome Cox, Secretary/Treasurer. There is some question as to the actual date when a group had their first organizational meeting. Furthermore, later "historical" stories about either Calizona or ApHC Regional Clubs say that Calizona was founded in 1951, or 1952, certainly by 1953 (still to be further researched). Please click on the link below for the full story.